This is a dish that my Mom used to make when we were kids.After my daughter was born and she started taking solid foods, I wanted to make this for her. But as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I didn't learn much cooking from my Mom, so I recreated this from my memory. Luckily for me (and those who ate this) this turned out almost like hers. My daughter liked this curry and it turned out to be one curry she wanted at least once a week.This recipe is for all the okra lovers out there and is a must try recipe.This goes well with rice or chapathi.
- Okra-15 no:s
- Curry leaves-few
- Green Chilies-2
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- Coriander powder-1tbs
- Chili powder-1/4tsp
- Garam masala powder-1 tsp
- Coconut milk-1 cup
- Salt -to taste
- Vegetable oil - 3 tbs
- Wash and dry the okras and cut them into small pieces .
- Heat a heavy bottom vessel; add 3 table spoons of oil and and when it is heated add onion,ginger,curry leaves and green chilli. When the onion turns translucent add the tomato and saute till the oil seperates .
- Now add turmeric powder,coriander powder,chili powder and garam masala to the mix and saute till the mix gives out a cooked smell.
- Add okra pieces to this now and saute for another 3 minutes or till the okra losses its crunchiness.
- Add coconut milk and salt and cook covered in medium heat till okra is cooked well. Check after every few minutes, in case the curry is too dry add a little water or coconut milk.